Friday, May 9, 2008

Vacuum Forming My Leatherman - May 9, 2008

Last night I had my good friends Marcelo and Ken over at my apartment, and we decided to try to put my vacuum forming machine to good use.

Unfortunately, I didn't have the right tools to make a perfect mold, but this was a fun first attempt to see what happens. Basically, I put a sheet of styrene on aluminum foil, and placed it in my oven for 5-6 minutes on 350 degrees.

Once it was done in the oven, I turned on the vacuum, pulled out the styrene, and threw it on top of the Leatherman with the aluminum foil facing up. I also poured water on top of the wood beforehand, so it would form more of an air tight seal.

The result was mediocore, as I really needed a frame to hold the styrene sheet. Also, I need rubber on the edge of the frame, so that it forms an airtight seal when I push down on the vacuum forming machine's platform. Here's the video link in case the video has trouble playing outside YouTube, and the video:



No comments: