Friday, June 22, 2007

"Blind Bus Ride" - June 22, 2007

This morning as I waited for the bus (I normally walk, but I sprained my ankle), I was in deep thought about how I should communicate with my intended target audience. Yes, I realize I don’t even have a product yet, but per my “Product vs. Plan” post, I am trying to build a product and a brand/marketing plan at the same time.

So, I’m sitting on the bus, and I randomly decide that I am going to close my eyes for the entire bus ride. I wanted to explore what it was like to really open my ears to the sounds of a bus ride during a morning commute. I wasn’t just going to hear things around me, I was intent on listening to them.
The ride, as one can imagine, was weird. Homeless people mumbling, screeching breaks, cell phone conversations about shoes, random smells, old women complaining, various people brushing and smooshing against you, and the occasional humming near my ear. However, it gave me a perspective that I had never gained before.

I think if I can apply interesting tactics to listen to my target audience in ways that reveal details that I would not have expected before, like the ones I experienced while closing my eyes on the bus, I will be able to develop an intriguing set of communications with them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Reid, you are a much hotter chick than when you lived here.